Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede Soup

Okay, so, we've been to Dixie Stampede in Tennessee, and I got to thinking about the awesome food we had there back in December. (Okay, yes, I was thinking about food! If you know me, then you know how much I love to eat!!!) Mainly, I was thinking about the cream of vegetable soup that you drink (there are no spoons---or forks, for that matter)! Fabulous. Anyway, thanks to the lovely invention of the internet, I was able to find the recipe for Dolly's soup! Yes, Dolly put this recipe in her Dixie Fixin's cookbook! Bless you, Dolly! I love you today, and you don't know how much I love your soup. So, I thought I'd make the soup tonight for my husband & ME! Let me tell you, I had a few things missing in my pantry (i.e. corn syrup, parsley & white pepper-who has white pepper in their pantry??) for this recipe, but I thought I'd try it anyway. Praise the Lord that I did, this soup was SO YUM! SO, I just thought I'd share the recipe with you & hope that it turns out as well for you!



*Not my image-google images*(see the pic of the soup!)

Cream of Vegetable Soup

3 tablespoons margarine
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon corn syrup*
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon white pepper*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chicken broth*
1 1/2 cups water*
3/4 cup finely chopped cooked vegetable (Veg-All will work)
1 pint half-and-half cream or heavy cream (for richer taste)
chopped fresh parsley
(I also added half an onion (chopped & sauteed)
(I also added half a can of corn (drained)

Directions:


In a pot, melt margarine. Add onion, garlic, and corn syrup. Simmer 1 minute. Do NOT brown.
Add flour, white pepper, salt, chicken broth, water, and vegetables. Simmer 3 minutes.
Add half-and-half. Simmer until desired consistency. Stir constantly - do NOT bring to boil.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.

*I didn't have corn syrup.
*I used black pepper.
*Also, I used 2 cups of chicken broth instead of the water with the chicken broth.
*I made a roux with the butter & flour before adding the rest of the ingredients.


Okay, I know I made a few changes! But even though I was missing the above, it took a while to thicken up, but the soup was still awesome (at least, that's my opinion!). Patience is a virtue! Let me know if you try it & if you like it as much as I do!

4 comments:

  1. I know, right? I don't know how folks don't love Dolly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not understanding need for corn syrup, any info would be great thx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone who doesn’t love, respect, and admire Dolly Parton is certifiably crazy. She is so very kind, compassionate, generous, and real, that anyone who knows her loves her. I’m proud to say that my admiration goes WAY back to her days with Porter Waggoner. This recipe (and others attributed to her) proves her roots in good, unpretentious people whom she loves. What she cooks is the kind of plain, delicious food I was brought up on, because my mother was a country girl who became my idol in the kitchen. She was always that country girl, just as Dolly is. I thank a generous God for my mother and for Dolly.

    ReplyDelete